Pricing

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:39:27 -0500

Here are some observations about pricing and selling our services

Knowing your 'walk away' point is the secret of negotiating.
I quote realistic price 'ranges' to everyone, and have the flexibility
to reduce them on the spot at my discretion, based on the work required.

http://www.smithpiano.com/pricing.htm

I never 'just tune' a piano
If they don't know a tuning from a szchmooning, it's logical that they
would seek the cheapest price.
People do want some idea of the price, but my experience is that if you
tell them "a" tuning fee, the number sticks in their head.
Rarely does a piano need only "a" tuning.  Why else would we carry
around several hundred other tools?
Then you have to sell/explain everything little thing when you get to
the piano, or do the work for free, or not do it, and have it affect
your reputation.
Because you've stuck a number in their head, you now have to 'push' them
to pay for the real work required.
This creates unneeded tension that could have been avoided by setting
expectations properly from the beginning.

He who asks the questions is in control.
When you answer the price question with a number, the customer has now
set the rules of engagement.
(Just like when you stand in front of a vending machine, and look for
the price of a candy bar).
Without realizing it, you have become the vending machine, and the
customer is pushing the buttons.

Earn the role of 'consultant'
We have to earn the trust and the right to give a diagnosis.  The
definition of "what the piano NEEDS" must be a combination of the
customer's expressed needs and your competent diagnosis of the
situation.  You might decide that what they want doesn't fit with your
understanding of things, and you may wish to diplomatically decline the
work.  Your willingness to NOT do something for quick profit, because
you are watching out for the customer's best interest....is a powerful
demonstration of the sincere desire to help them.  Being sincerely
willing to forego a temporary profit....is very profitable.  Customers
don't know what their pianos need, WE do. It is possible to give them
options, without losing your role as a 'consultant'.  It's also possible
to provide more of what you know the piano needs, within their budget
and perspective.

Diagnose before you prescribe
I don't ask my doctor "How much for a ____?"   I'm the patient. How
should I know the prescription before I've gotten an accurate diagnosis?

What would it say about my doctor if she simply blurted out a price for
_____, and then tried to make an appointment to perform it?

If the client doesn't trust you, they can't believe you
You have to prioritize the building of trust. All else stems from there.
How?
When you express sincere interest in their use of the piano, it's
history and their understanding of things...you begin to differentiate
yourself.
You demonstrate your competence and trustworthiness by the degree to
which you care for and understand THEM.
You'll earn the role of consultant and the right to have more control of
the conversation.
You do that through the caring questions you ask and the perceptive
acknowledgement you demonstrate as they begin to open up.
You show that you care and you adjust your advice based on listening to
what they want out of their piano
--Not by letting them dictate what gets done to the piano because of the
natural tendency to 'price shop'.

This helps them view you differently, which is critical if they are ever
going to get off the 'cheap price' mode.

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT
www.smithpiano.com