after-ring in new dampers

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:02:59 -0800

Try ironing to make them narrower. A special made parallel pliers to =
squeeze the wedge while hot. Had the same problem on the bass wedges on =
a SO&SO ME. The last three bywords were so close the damper wouldn't sit =
deep enough. Pack the felt, don't remove it.

piano
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 1:55 PM
  Subject: after-ring in new dampers

  Hi all,

  I just got finished replacing a lot of moth-eaten felt on my old =
Wissner, including of course the damper felt.  Most of the dampers sound =
great -- not too abrupt/whumpy, but not too sloppy either.  No =
"whooshing" or anything.  The only problem is the split wedges I'm using =
over those wound trichords that all you techs love so much.  (Honesly, I =
think these notes sound fine -- very "ballsy" and not poorly behaved at =
all.)  The problem is that the strings are spaced so closely that the =
little wedges don't insert adequately between them.  (The same wedges =
work fine for the plain wires in the lower tenor section.)  After =
sitting overnight, with the wedges gently "pressed" in place between the =
strings, damping was OK, but not great, for about 30 sec or so of =
playing.  Then the after-ring started up again -- not BADLY like the =
night before, but still noticeably.

  QUESTION:  Is this the sort of problem that will go away by itself, as =
the new dampers continue to seat?  Or am I using the wrong wedges?  Or =
perhaps I should "skinny down" the tips of these wedges by filing their =
inside surfaces with an emery board?

  Thanks for any advice!

  Peace,
  Sarah

  PS Don't y'all go sayin' no bad stuff 'bout my trichords!  It's a =
damper problem, not a string problem!!  ;-)

  PPS How long will gelled hide glue keep in the refrigerator?