Flipping a grand piano upside down

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 05:11:31 -0500

Hi David and List,
I just built a 'grand piano tilter' and have a link to pictures to
share:
http://www.smithpiano.com/ptg.htm

My purpose was to have a way to safely tip pianos for shop work, without
having to find other people to help.
(I also remember moving a Baldwin grand, and the legs were barely
attached to the piano.
When we tried to move the piano, we ended up holding it in our hands!)
That also inspired me.
So, my idea is to use three scissors jacks mounted to wooded 'tripods',
and jack up the piano, remove the legs, and slide my grand piano tilter
under.
Strap the skidboard and dolly to the piano, and tilt the whole thing
over safely, onto the dolly.
No stress to the piano legs, or to the people.

This could also be used to tip the piano upside down, by adding a board
to the top of the piano, ensuring that the tilter arms would not damage
the innards.

Enjoy!

Best regards,
Brad Smith, RPT