good price for CA

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:17:55 -0600

David,

Apply liberally.  You don't want glue flowing all over, but neither just one
or two drops.  As mentioned earlier, there is no need to get excessive, but
I think the only concern is where the glue really is going; and as discussed
before, if you seem to be using too much and the pins keep drinking, let the
first treatment dry and apply more later if needed.

Truly can't imaging CA actually causing a pin to break.  I don't question
the experience, only the mechanism.  Probably a bad pin, now it's actually
tight again, and - SNAP!!  I would not blame the CA.  Typically CA makes an
instrument tunable again, sometimes makes pins actually tight again, but not
in the "Brand-New Baldwin" category.

Regards,
William R. Monroe

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Ilvedson" <ilvey@sbcglobal.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: good price for CA

> So...when we come across a piano with loose pins throughout  and need to
use a inexpensive repair we do what exactly?   One drop per tuning pin?
Two drops per tuning pin?   Can't say as I'll ever need to do this
repair...but, I sure as heck don't want any t-pins snapping off...yikes.
The only time I've used CA is on a bass tuning pin that wouldn't hold any
tension and then I removed and swabbed the hole. Thinking back I might as
well of put in a larger pin...!!!    In future I can just apply a couple of
drops of CA to the pin bushing?

> David I.

> From: David Vanderhoofven <david@vanderpiano.com>
> To: <mags@magsmusic.net>, Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: good price for CA
>

> >Maggie,
>
> >I agree with William here.  I would be cautious about using more than 2
oz
> >of CA on a piano, and probably never more than 4 oz of CA glue on one
> >piano.  I had an unfortunate incident a few years ago... very old 4'
> >something no-name grand, heavily rusted, AND... previously treated with
> >some unknown pinblock treatment.  I used 4 oz of CA glue, and since it
was
> >out of town, wasn't able to get back for a few weeks.  Fast forward a few
> >weeks, and during tuning I found the tuning pin torque excessively
> >high.  The piano was almost untunable because the torque was so high.
AND,