Materials/sources advice, please

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:45:48 -0500

for a great article on an inexpensive glue pot, check out
http://www.spurlocktools.com/id57_hot_hide_glue.htm

Dean
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Lee Peterson
  Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:23 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Materials/sources advice, please

  Hi all.

  I'm doing my first replacement of damper felts on this old upright and I
need some glue & technique advice. I've read a lot of archive lit., manuals,
etc. It sounds like hide glue and a glue pot are a very good way to do it in
consideration of ever re-doing it in the future. White (Elmers) is advised
against because it's messy to remove and because it soaks into felt too
readily. Likewise, Titebond & yellow glues. Does anyone use hot melt glue? I
don't know how you'd ever get that off other than cutting and sanding,
though. I guess hide glue can be ammonia-mix soaked, then steamed or heated
off. Other gluing tasks : back rail cloth & key bushings, so maybe that
makes a difference as far as what I buy.

  Also, the hammer check rail needs to be lifted by new or added felts so
that the hammer travel is corrected. I'd like to replace those very thick,
stout felts with new ones cut to the correct thickness, but I haven't been
able to identify what to order. The existent felt pieces appear to be very
dense (or maybe it's simply compacted ?). They're 1/2" x 1/2" x 1 1/4" and
the stop bumper piece is 1/2" x 1" x 1 1/4". I need to increase the
thickness from 1/2" to 5/8" to get the hammer travel right.

  Any advice is appreciated.

  Thanks.

  Lee Peterson