Sans Fallboard???

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:45:06 -0500

On Jan 26, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Sarah Fox wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was watching "Great Balls of Fire" last night, about Jerry Lee
> Lewis.  I noticed that in a few of the grands they had set up in the
> movie (which I presume were set up the same way as they were in real
> life for the guy), the fallboards had been removed.  Of course with
> his hands flying all over the keyboard, and especially when playing
> while standing, it's easy to see how fingers colliding with a
> fallboard could be problematic.  I've had the fallboard removed from
> my piano for a long time, and although it looks ugly that way, I have
> to admit it feels nice to have the extra room, especially since I play
> pretty deeply into the keys.
>
> Question 1:  Do some of the more... er... *energetic* performers
> request their pianos be set up sans fallboard?

I doubt it. Many years ago I was to tune several pianos for B.B. King's
band's appearances (workshops and concert) at Tufts University. The
local PBS station was filming it all for a special. After the
soundcheck some cameraman or director came over and whined that
reflections from the fallboard was preventing him from getting his
ideal shot of the pianist's hands on the keys. I complied with his
wishes, and removed the fallboard, and the director was all smily and
appreciative.
So I headed out to meet my wife at a  restaurant (despite earlier
having been invited to dine with BB and the band), and came back after
the first set had started. When I slipped back stage as the first set
ended, the pianist (a wonderful gentleman) was *totally* ripped: "What
the hell did you do to the fallboard!! I'm completely thrown off
without it! Why did you do that!!??" I sheepishly "explained" the
director's request, and got it right back on during the break.
Jeez I wonder why Tufts stopped calling me.
Oh well -- I was young and the hard lesson learned -- never leave the
premises (or backstage) when you may be needed, and don't screw around
with an instrument to please some cameraman (without the musician's
express request).
Patrick Draine