Fw: Stringing Tools

Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:57:57 -0000

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Michael Gamble=20
To: Matthew Todd=20
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 12:34 PM
Subject: Re: Stringing Tools

Hello Matthew
1.A pair of thin leather gloves - to stop persiration from fingers to =
new polished Roslau.=20
2.A stringing hook is useful.=20
3.A coil lifter is a necessity.=20
4.A strong pair of short jawed round nosed pliers - to help feed the =
string in the wrest pin - but this is only if you have already got the =
pins in the plank.=20
5. (home made) A round block of hardwood with a hole drilled in it and =
off-set to this hole, but close to it, a round head screw - screwed in =
but leaving about a quarter of an inch of bare shank. This last tool I =
made from a broken leg from a University Students cafe. Heaven knows =
what these students get up to. You dunk the new wrest pin in french =
chalk, put it in this hole and feed the new string into it just short of =
coming out the other side.=20
6.Then you use the next tool - a stringing crank (similar to the key to =
wind up a grandfather clock) to wind the new string on the wrest pin, =
guided by the afore-mentioned screw. Lifting out the wrest pin, keeping =
the tension on the new coil, you insert the pin into the hole in the =
wrest pin plank. This stringing crank has another, now important, =
feature. It has a hole through to the top of the new pin. Into this hole =
you put the next tool:=20
7.A longish parallel steel punch. With the crank still on the pin you =
hit the punch (and thus the top of the wrest pin) with a heavy (next =
tool)=20
8. Stringing Hammer. Mine is fairly hefty. Thus you start the newly =
strung pin in its hole and can therefore remove the crank - its job, for =
this string, done. Now, with yet another tool -=20
9.The wrest-pin punch - you pound the pin in to the required first =
distance. This w-p punch is a hollow punch as you will see in your =
catalogue. When putting the final touch on a newly strung piano I attach =
a cocktail stick to the wrest pin punch so it sticks out and guides me =
to get all the pins the same distance from the plank. Next you get a =
pair of (new tool here)=20
10. Strong duck-bill pliers and flatten in the "kneb" - this is the =
little loop where the first coil on the pin as it goes into the pin hole =
protrudes a bit and can lead to instability in the tuning if not dealt =
with properly. Now the coil lifter (3)comes into its own. I'm lucky and =
have a very old coil lifter. If it were flattened out it would look like =
a screw driver with a half-moon cut out of the tip. You simply cannot =
get the flat coil lifter in between the tuning pins for those final =
adjustments when all the pins are in. So - how many tools is that? 10? =
Good luck! You've probably got the hammer.......
Regards from the blue skies of Sussex-on-Sea
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20