Pricing

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:42:23 EST

In a message dated 1/25/05 6:05:11 PM, tune4u@earthlink.net writes:

> I'm chewing on the idea of offering a discounted tuning price anytime I
> tune a piano that I had previously tuned

I have raised my tuning fee $18 in the last 2 years.   (To get more in line
with other tuners' fees in the area and because I have taken over a retired
tuner's clientele and he charged more than me----couldn't keep straight my
clients at one price and his at a higher one, so they all get the higher price)   In
order to compensate for this and reduce sticker shock, I offer my previous
clients a $10 discount on my reminder cards.   This applies for a semi-annual or
annual tuning.   Even with the discount, they're paying more than they did
last year.

Some people seem motivated by this.   They mention it specifically when they
call to schedule an appointment.   I had one guy refuse it, and insisted on
paying me the full price.   My percentage of reminder cards to repeat tunings in
any given month is low, though, so I don't think it makes much of a
difference, really.

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate