Effect of bridge height on tone?

Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:33:48 +0100

Hi Gordon :)

I really dont think anyone knows for sure just how exactly all this
works... tho there are plenty out there who are pretty darned sure they
do. Funny how so many of these dissagree fundementally on the subject as
well.  We have a professor of acoustics from Purdue who recently
revealed a thesis in which longitudianal wave motion through the
soundboard was finally <<proved>>. We have others who dissagree with his
conclusions, and of those there is often dissagreement as to what they
think is going on.

My own perspective... unschooled as it is, is that in principle... all
wave action is longitudinal in nature. Transverse and hybrid wave
behaviour only occur when a wave form traveling through one medium
encounters another. Some of the wave energy then is reflected, some
absorbed and given off as heat or some other waste product, and some
simply passes through. The apparent vibration of the more solid medium
is simply a partial image of the transition from one medium to the other
that is taking place.

Many will have it today that the soundboard simply acts like a
diaphragm, moving up and downwards only, experiencing no internal
longitudinal action, or whatever there is does not influence the
transverse output that sets air in motion.  I simply cannot see how this
can be in the first place.  Since it is indeed only one wave we are
really looking at... but broken into componet parts... that part which
intereacts with the air medium, that part that stays internal, and that
part which is transformed into some other product,... these must be all
interedependant with each other. Any longitudinal motion and frequencies
which necessarilly must be present is then very much an influencing
factor on the transverse interaction with the air... because really
these two are one in the same.... part of a whole.

Same thing really goes for the string... it is a medium which interacts
with at least three others. The air, the bridge, and the front
termination. It will neccessarilly have both transverse and longitudnial
motion when excited, and all this motion / energy will be transfered and
reflected back from to some degree or another to the other three...
which in turn do their bit in similiar fashion.

I hadnt thought about the <<leverage>>  a string exerts on the bridge as
such.  Dont remember it being brought up before either... tho perhaps it
has been. Anyone have any comments on that ?

Cheers
RicB