Bösendorfer sound but......

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:11:17 +0100

On 25-jan-05, at 1:55, Joe Garrett wrote:

> =A0
> Yup! They do make a lot of sound. Muddy, garbled noise IMO! Of course,=20=

> that is just my opinion, which is based on several attempts by one of=20=

> the local "wannabe" Concert artist, who insisted on Bozies and then=20
> had to deal with extremely bad reviews. The reviewer hated the sound=20=

> as well. I agreed with him and still do.
> One thing you need to take into consideration, most U.S. Concert Halls=20=

> have poor, if not, Bad acoustics, compared to the ones in Europe.
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares R I

I have heard bad B=F6sendorfers too, but - mostly - it depends on the=20
tech, and sure, if the hall is lousy, what can you do.

However, there is something else I would like to mention here :

We as techs often have to develop a feeling for certain instruments.
A Steinway for instance is actually a very difficult instrument to make=20=

really beautiful. The regulation takes twice or more as long as a=20
Yamaha and working with Steinway hammers requires years of voicing=20
experience.
A Bechstein is a completely different instrument requiring a totally=20
different listening background. Why?
Because the Bechstein sound is unique and has nothing to do with=20
Yamaha's and Steinways. To crawl into a Bechstein we have to have=20
experience with many Bechsteins in the first place, but also with=20
instruments coming from that same era and from the same city : Berlin. =20=

there is for instance Duysen, who was a pupil of Bechstein and who,=20
later on, established his own atelier a few blocks away from Bechstein.=20=

Hardly anybody outside Europe knows Duysen. Then there is Krause and=20
G=F6rs & Kallmann, Goetze, Adolf lehman, Pfeiffer, Carl Ecke, Kn=F6chel,=20=

Kriebel, Kuhla and the list goes on and on and on.... all instruments=20
built in that same time and in the same city of Berlin.
And then we have good old B=F6sendorfer....
One of the last of the middle Europe area with the 'Vienna action', and=20=

about the last one to become 'modern' by finally changing this Vienna=20
style action to the one we know so well.
We must not forget that the B=F6sendorfer we know today, has a very long=20=

history behind it and was already famous in the 19th century.  And...=20
the B=F6sendorfers are also unique in the fact that they still have=20
easily distinguishable  'registers' which always remind me of the piano=20=

fortes.  There are very few newly built pianos with that specific=20
quality.

With this in mind, we should approach these kind of instruments not=20
like Yamahas, Kawais, Young Changs or Samicks or any clone of the past.=20=

  It still is a fact that, today, the most famous brands of old are :=20
Steinway, Bechstein, B=F6sendorfer.

To get the most out of these instruments we must learn from the past=20
first, to get a better understanding of both their shortcomings and=20
their magic.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek