String Spacing on Bridge

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:36:24 -0500

I believe part of the reason is the angle of the hammer and the damper =
system requires more room at the top. In the treble on an upright the =
action spacing always gets closer as soon as the hammers lose their tilt =
and then again when the dampers end.

Aren't the hammers in the tenor angled because the stings are at an =
angle, rather than vice-versa?

Also consider the same bridge load carried over the shortened span but I =
guess that could be changed with string scales and bridge height. Some =
makers extend the bridge so it doesn't end so abruptly, maybe ending it =
closer to the rim solves the problem.

kpiano

I think a bridge will be extended, not to get closer to the rim, but =
rather so as not to have the last strings right at the end of the bridge =
because of tonal problems that can cause.

Terry Farrell
  On most (all?) modern pianos, the mid and upper treble strings are =
roughly parallel to one another. However, in the tenor, and more-so in =
the lower tenor, the strings are spaced much further apart over the =
bridge than they are up near the forward speaking length termination.

    Why? I ask that especially because I have heard much talk of =
design/performance concerns about the low end of the long bridge being =
too close to the rim - why not just lessen the string spacing and have =
the long bridge end further from the rim?

    Terry Farrell