String Spacing on Bridge

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:33:36 +0100

Hi Terry.

Isn't it simply because in lower tenor the strings deviate much more =
from rest position, and they would touch each other and buzz on a hard =
blow ?

St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Terry=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 12:55 PM
  Subject: String Spacing on Bridge

  On most (all?) modern pianos, the mid and upper treble strings are =
roughly parallel to one another. However, in the tenor, and more-so in =
the lower tenor, the strings are spaced much further apart over the =
bridge than they are up near the forward speaking length termination.

  Why? I ask that especially because I have heard much talk of =
design/performance concerns about the low end of the long bridge being =
too close to the rim - why not just lessen the string spacing and have =
the long bridge end further from the rim?

  Terry Farrell