Guess who ?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:56:13 -0800 (PST)

Hey! What about Bix! I heard that Bix and Satchmo
locked themselves in a hotel room  once, and traded
"Licks" ( no, not THAT kind !!! ) for a whole week.
The mutual admiration was apparently exceptional.
     Thump

BTW---on the plane to SF I was seated next to an
"Old Timer" and revealed my persona as a  piano tuner.
He said: "Ever hear of Starr pianos? "
I said: "Sure! Richmond, Indiana. The Gennett Studios
were there. " ( pronounced Jennett, according to him,
BTW ) His Dad was a  supervisor there in the first
decades of the last century, and this fellow, as a
child, heard Bix and Louis cutting wax in the studio!
     Once I got to Hawaii I met another Oldster,
sitting on a box, playing trumpet, in a  doorway. He
played with Thomas Waller at Fats' last gig, before he
boarded the train towards Hollywood, upon which he
perished.

--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>