drill press assembly

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:25:44 -0500

Heat your chuck in the kitchen oven up to 350 degrees before you put it on
the spindle.

Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of J Patrick Draine
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 10:44 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: drill press assembly

Shop rats,
I am assembling my new Delta drill press, and at the last step --
attaching the chuck to the spindle.  Before I pound the chuck onto the
spindle taper (which seems  rather unelegant to this 'no heavy
equipment' field technician) I am instructed to remove all the packing
grease gunk from the components. Household oven cleaner is suggested,
and I sprayed some on last night. As I'm getting ready to wipe the stuff
off, I'm wondering if acetone would have been equally effective, and if
I could use acetone to rinse off the oven cleaner lye solution.
Hoping not to burn my hands and eyes off,
Patrick Draine