Crowning methods, was soundboards.

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:02:33 -0500

> | ....The other
> | end of the spectrum would be no panel drying at all, and ribs =
cut/formed to
> | the desired radius. I am not aware of anyone that is at that end of =
the
> | spectrum.
>=20
> Walter.

Really? They rib with the panel equilibrated with room RH - somewhere in =
the 9 or 10% moisture content range? And then they sell a piano in =
Minneapolis? Any idea how those boards look after a few years and a =
couple hundred cycles of high to low environment RH? Any increased =
tendency to crack?

> | I believe most soundboard manufacturers build hybrid soundboards - =
that is
> | the ribs will have some radius cut/formed into them (often the =
60-foot
> | radius one hears of so often) and the panel will receive a fair bit =
of
> | drying prior to ribbing. Steinway even modifies the 100% compression
> | crowning process by drying the panel, using flat ribs, but gluing =
them to
> | the panel in radiused cauls.
>=20
> The result of this is still a pure compression-crowned soundboard. =
(Think about
> it....)
>=20
> Del

Absolutely. I understand that. Perhaps I chose my words poorly. I did =
not mean to suggest that the Steinway grand soundboard was anything but =
100% compression-crowned, but rather was pointing out one variation of =
the 100% compression-crowned method: ribbing with a flat rib in curved =
cauls, as opposed to ribbing a flat rib and clamping to a flat surface.

Terry Farrell