Shallow ribs on great old boards.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:02:45 EST

It is my personal opinion that most uprights are not dependent on  crown for
tone production.
 Yes some sound better than others & some have a variety of rib
configuration. I believe it's primarily a mass driven system. The upright board  is
tapered like a wedge . Thiicker at the top or treble a much thinner toward  the
bottom & most have 11 or 12 ribs which adds mass & stiffness as  well. The best
sounding ones though have real rib structure & at least some  bearing.

  My sister has an Ivers & pond Upright & though it sound  quite good it has
a weakness in the treble area which is a lack probably a lack  of mass. With
ribs that shallow it could not have ever had much if any  crown.
  JMho
  Dale

Interesting. This may be superfluous, but I would like
to mention  that some of the best-sounding old upright
pianos I have seen have very  wide, shallow ribs. And
no cracks in the still very "live" boards.  Knabe.
Ivers and Pond. Mason.
Not intending to muddy  things here. I believe in
and support the idea of rib-crowning. But how  did
these allegedly CC boards survive in Georgia for 100
years so well?  Lots of varnish?
Thump