Shallow ribs on great old boards.

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:51:04 -0800 (PST)

Interesting. This may be superfluous, but I would like
to mention that some of the best-sounding old upright
pianos I have seen have very wide, shallow ribs. And
no cracks in the still very "live" boards. Knabe.
Ivers and Pond. Mason.
     Not intending to muddy things here. I believe in
and support the idea of rib-crowning. But how did
these allegedly CC boards survive in Georgia for 100
years so well? Lots of varnish?
     Thump