perpetually sticking keys

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:48:03 -0800

The other thing to check regarding key bushings is the length of=
 bushing cloth into the mortice.   I think about 3/8" is all you=
 need.   More than that will cause friction and sticking keys...
David I.

Original message
From: Greg Newell
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: perpetually sticking keys

Tom,
        Lots of things have been offered. All of them are=
 possibly valid but precious few are actually likely. Process of=
 elimination still works very well in diagnosing problems. Did=
 the piano function normally before you re-bushed the keys? If=
 so, and I suspect that this is the case, then the problem is in=
 the re-bushing effort. I suggest you look very carefully at=
 whether or not you have too much glue in there. It will have=
 dripped down lower in the mortise than the felt and could be=
 rubbing against the key pin when the key is depressed. If you=
 thought that the problem was in the felt and you eased the=
 bushing you may have missed it. What type of glue did you use?=
 Look carefully at each key mortise under a strong light and I'll=
 just bet you'll find a glob of glue in there. If so just break=
 it away and get it out of there.
        If by chance you had this problem before doing the work=
 you described then please disregard the above.

best of luck,
Greg Newell