circle of sound

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:38:45 EST

Ron O.  write
 Possibly, the ribs on the bigger pianos are also=20
quite heavy relative  to their strength. The=20
Imperial ribs are nominally 30mm wide by 23 mm =20
high.
=20
   Hi Ron .O
  If the Bozy had ribs 30 high by 23 wide ,which, is reverse of the  above,=20
then perhaps a different tonal result at the higher dyanmic levels  would be=
=20
more likely. Whadda ya think ?
  My goodness this is a very flimsy rib for a massive piano but then  this t=
o=20
me  would indicate a purely compression crowned board
   Dale

One would expect their light spruce rims to limit=20
sustain,  and they probably do. But as David said,=20
the heavier sound board of the  B=F6s would seem to=20
be one factor which is contributing to sustaining =20
qualities. The B=F6s plate is also considerably=20
heavier than the  lightweight offerings from=20
Yamaha and Steinway for example. I remain  highly=20
suspicious of the tonal negatives, which I=20
believe light plates  bring to the mix.

=20