Fwd: Circle of Sound

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:42:21 EST

-------------------------------1106502141

In a message dated 1/23/2005 2:22:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
sec@overspianos.com.au writes:
  Hi Ron
  Fine post.
  I too have given this thought over many years & so  often it's the pianos
with a massive overbuilt plate(rims) that speaks to me.
   "I believe" part of this has to do with  the fact that a heavy dead plate
is not likely to have any unwanted  resonances or absorp acoustical energy .
I've made a habit of tapping/thumping  on plates, especially the struts. If
they go thunk & the sound dies  instantly, this is a good thing ,if they they
resonate or worse,sing  then  they're vibrating at varying frequencies & sucking
vibrational energy out of the sytem & detracting audibly from the  music It
doesn't take much common sense to figure this out. Use your  knuckle & just tap
all over the plate. It's educational
  I've heard some struts from vacuum processed plate that  ring for 2 or more
second & in sympathy with certain  frequencies.

  Cheers
  Dale

I didn't  mean to offend you, and sorry if I have.
But surely we have to be able to  offer an opinion
on the merits of various design factors based on
experience. The two pianos, in my experience,
which initially caused  me to believe that plate
weight was important, were the Baldwin SD-10 and
the Welmar 6'0 grand. Both have quite massive
plate thickness out  behind the hitch plate (much
thicker than the plate we use for our 225).  The
SD-10 from memory is well over 16 mm thick, and
the Welmar is over  20 mm thick at the web between
the treble and bass bridges. While the  original
workmanship of both pianos seemed to be somewhat
wanting,  both had outstanding sustain and the
plates seemed to be the facilitating  stand-out
parameter.

I thought my earlier post was quite innocuous.  I
didn't expect someone to jump up and down about
it.

Ah well,  another day at the office.

Ron O.

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...