perpetually sticking keys

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 08:03:23 -0800

I wouldn't go that far.  But I would take the trouble, at this point, to
remove the action so that you can easily check the centers and spoons.
While you have the action disconnected from the keys you can also more
easily check the key friction.  I'm inclined to think that the spoons
are the culprit.  When you are at the piano, push the pedal down and
then play the action top to bottom with very slow release.  If you get
more sticking than without the pedal down it may very well be the
spoons.  Removing the action on a drop action spinet is a bit of a  pain
but not that big a deal. Bring an action cradle so you can take it home
if you need to or comfortably work on it in her home.  If the spoons are
corroded and/or have eaten a hole in the damper lever felt, you will
have to replace the felt and polish the spoons which might be more
easily done in the shop without someone looking over your shoulder.
While the action is in the cradle you can test action centers and more
easily apply protech where you want it without hosing.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Piannaman@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2005 7:26 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: perpetually sticking keys

Tom,

I think I'd be inclined to give her the money back and bring the piano
back in to your workspace.  It may be a loss right up front, but in the
end you won't have the fear of that "I have a sticky key" phone call.
If you can't afford to do that, check ALL of the centers.

If jiffy leads can't sink those keys, there's SOMETHING weird going on.

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 1/23/05 7:10:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,