Rims & tuning forks

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 07:36:50 -0800

My comment about the flippant response didn't have to do with the
question of the difference, but the answer that if you can't hear it
there's no reason to explain.  I don’t think anyone will argue that
there won't be a difference between the sounds produced on a tuning fork
against rims of different types of wood.  The question, still, is what
is the significance of those differences?  If the soundboard assembly is
designed to accommodate rim construction, then what are those
differences and what is the reasoning.  And if the soundboards are
different (which it seems that they are) then what does the sound of a
fork at the rim really tell you?

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

> I think...... (therefor I am, but it's almost 12 pm and Horace's
> message seems to have flown by a long time ago) that what Horace meant
> was that you get different results with a tuning fork if you put in on
> the rim of a Steinway and on the rim of a Bösendorfer.
> Of course that does make sense and it was not flippant at all I think.
>
> The rim of the Steinway is completely different from the Bösendorfer
> rim as it is multi-layered with hard woods.
> The rim of the Bösendorfer on the other hand is made of spruce which
> has been sawed in like a harmonica so that you can bend it.
> Afterwards
> it is veneered.
> The sound of the Bösendorfer rim is definitely different as it is less
> massive and because the wood used is so much different.
>
> André Oorebeek

I meant the outer rim.

friendly greetings
from