Circle of Sound

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:22:17 +1100

Hello Richard,

I'm sorry if my previous post offended you, BUT;

You wrote:

>It always amazes me how seemingly difficult it
>is for people to avoid mixing the purely
>subjective with the objective in these
>disscussions. Time and time again we hear how
>this or that idea or design is <<better>>, or
>some similar term.  Take Ron O's last post where
>he compares some very basic design issues
>between Yamaha/Steinway -- Bösendorfer --
>Baldwin -- and his own.. . .  he includes the
>two following comments..
>
>>Ron O wrote;
>>
>>"I remain highly suspicious of the tonal
>>negatives, which I believe light plates bring
>>to the mix."
>>
>>"Another heavy plated and heavily rimmed piano
>>which has quite outstanding tonal
>>characteristics once the duplex noise and other
>>stringing and strike ratio issues are sorted."
>

>Both of these are primarily statements that are
>clearly matters of personal taste,

Agreed, they can't be anything else. You seem to
subjectively think that I compared 'some very
basic design issues'. I would say that they are
'fundamental design issues' which will very
likely determine the fundamental tonal
characteristics of an instrument.

>  yet they are presented as fact backed up by
>some very light analysis of some basic physical
>functionings relating to the
>plate/rim/soundboard.

We'll its hardly likely to be a thesis on the
Pianotech list. But if you feel my experience is
not of value then just write me off. It's fine by
me.

>What tonal negatives ?? according to whom ??
>What outstanding tonal characteristics... ??
>according to whom ??

Clearly, according to me. Notice that I wrote "I
believe" in the first sentence you quoted.
Clearly, 'I believe' that there is something in
the weight of a plate, regarding its influence on
tonal quality. Certainly I could be wrong, but
after about twenty five years thinking about this
plate-weight parameter, I still believe at this
point in time that its got legs. While I might
well be wrong, and I do still question the idea,
I still believe its important.

>Furthermore... none of these really offer us
>anything of value, if that is to be defined as
>gaining an understanding as to what kind of
>specific and objective tonal characteristics are
>achieved with this or that particular change in
>any given parameter.  Why cant we just leave out
>the judgemental bit

Sometimes the judgement bit is all we've got.
Sometimes we don't know exactly why such and such
a parameter has the effect that it appears to
have, but that shouldn't stop us from drawing a
conclusion. A conclusion is not necessarily false
just because it can't be documented as fact using
the current tools at hand.

>....Ok.. I understand any descriptive comment is
>bound to be a bit coloured... but we could at
>least avoid such obvious declarations of pure
>taste.

This discipline will always involve pure taste.
Sure its subjective, but ultimately we have to
decide what we believe is the essence of 'good
tone', and if we are trying to build a worthwhile
instrument we must also ultimately decide, of all
the multitudes of variables which can apply to
any design, which ones will yield the tonal
qualities we are seeking.

After the decisions are made, an instrument will
either sink or swim based on its perceived
merits. I agree with you that we must always try
to ascertain what are the facts, but with pianos
the essence of what constitutes good tone cannot
be prescribed by some rule book or by some stand
over merchant telling us what is or isn't good.
Ultimately its going to be decided by what the
end user likes.

I didn't mean to offend you, and sorry if I have.
But surely we have to be able to offer an opinion
on the merits of various design factors based on
experience. The two pianos, in my experience,
which initially caused me to believe that plate
weight was important, were the Baldwin SD-10 and
the Welmar 6'0 grand. Both have quite massive
plate thickness out behind the hitch plate (much
thicker than the plate we use for our 225). The
SD-10 from memory is well over 16 mm thick, and
the Welmar is over 20 mm thick at the web between
the treble and bass bridges. While the original
workmanship of both pianos seemed to be somewhat
wanting, both had outstanding sustain and the
plates seemed to be the facilitating stand-out
parameter.

I thought my earlier post was quite innocuous. I
didn't expect someone to jump up and down about
it.

Ah well, another day at the office.

Ron O.

--