circle of sound

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 07:47:23 -0500

I don't know Ric, I'm not sure exactly how applicable it is, but the
preferred material for high-fidelity speaker box or mounting platform is
MDF. Also, while it seems a good idea that every part of the piano should
play its role, I'm not sure that all parts need to be little soundboards.
MDF might not hold a screw well, might fall apart rather quickly in the
water, but as far as just being an immobile hunk of very dense stuff that
doesn't vibrate very well - which, I think, is the basic function of an
inner rim - it think it fits that bill even better than many hardwoods. It's
also dimensionally quite stable (I think).

Hmmmmm, an MDF pre-formed inner rim?

I'm really not suggesting that, but I find it difficult to imagine how it
would be a detriment to the musical properties of a piano when used as a
case material.

Terry Farrell