Center Pin Goop

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 19:07:02 -0800

--887C59D9-F912-43A2-9BE1-AFFC59CDB631
what I like is the close up of the center pin.   How did you do=
 that?
David I.

Original message
From: Terry
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Center Pin Goop

Several well-intended "helpful" responses follow:

> >Great picture, Terry!   My guess is the centers were treated=
 with barbeque
> >sauce.
> >
> >(Always glad to be helpful.)>
>
> By golly, I think you're right! Maybe an Alka-Seltzer flush is=
 in order.

> On a more sherioush note ... I wonder if someone "lubed" those=
 centers with
> something that drew dust, gathered goo, magnetized mucous,=
 invited ich,
> captured crud, collected crap, and generally glommed onto globs=
 of gluey
> gunk.

I've tried all these wonderful suggestions (I do have a sense of=
 humor and enjoy these clever responses - especially when they=
 are balanced with something useful  ;-). But my center pins=
 still look like the photo below:

Stuff wipes off with a bit of effort and yields a nice clean=
 shiny center pin - I don't think the pins are corroding or=
 loosing their plating (like I've heard can happen on some=
 Samicks).

So, my questions remain as follows:

- What is this stuff?

- If I simply repin, can I not presume that the goop will come=
 back (I suppose it would be a good thing to ream up a pin size=
 or two)?

- Do I need to rebush (like the US is doing today - oh, no I=
 couldn't do that!)?

- If I need to repin and rebush all the jacks and wip levers,=
 seems to me I'm already pretty close to the point where it would=
 be cheaper to just install new wippens - what say yee?

Thanks for any CONSTRUCTIVE input.   ;-)

Terry Farrell

--887C59D9-F912-43A2-9BE1-AFFC59CDB631
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--887C59D9-F912-43A2-9BE1-AFFC59CDB631--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: cpgook.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 64405 bytes