Crowning methods, was soundboards.

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:15:49 -0500

On Jan 21, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>> So some panel compression is still utilized but  crown not dependent
>> on compression that much to form crown or maintain it & even in the
>> driest invirons the crown won't shrink out of exisistence.
>
> Not me. My boards are rib crowned AND rib supported. I design rib
> scales that would have crown under string bearing if the panel wasn't
> there at all. Compression in the panel is minimal in my boards, and
> mostly to prevent or minimize cracking in dry cycles. Since there is
> little compression built in, there is little crush damage in wet
> cycles, making cracking in dry cycles less likely. Time will tell, but
> I don't see the dramatic wet season compression ridges in my boards
> that I see in Steinway and Yamaha boards.

What RH do you glue the ribs to the soundboard at? I assume anything
lower than ambient RH would induce some compression crowning (once the
piano was exposed to something higher, say, summer's humidity -- today
the RH is frightfully low) -- but I freely admit that's just a gut
reaction, not a calculation.

Patrick