Crowning methods, was soundboards.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:48:04 EST

Terry
  Very well said. You took the words out of my mouth. I  don't think any one
is saying the a rib  crowned board sounds better than a C.C. Board. I  believe
Del ,Both Rons , & probably You & now me have gone on record as  saying so.
What has been said is that the dependabliltiy of maintaining  crown  &
mechanical impedance qualitys are more dependable over time  & less subject to
failure. We all have our biasis though. But Consider  this
  Terry you are right ,most small shop rib  crowners I Know Dry down to a
range 5.5 to 6.5.% E.M.C. So some panel  compression is still utilized but  crown
not dependent on compression that  much to form crown or maintain it & even
in the driest invirons the crown  won't shrink out of exisistence.
 This is dry. This is equal to an environment of 85 or  90 degrees & 25 or
30% R.h. Now any body who's lived thru a dry summer  knows this is dry.
  Many C..C.Boards are dried to 4% to 4.5%(or  less) Which is more like 100
Degrees plus 15% to 20% R. H. To me  this Nevada desert dry.
  This is why the damage to panels In C. C. thru  compression will be greater
given huge swings in climate change. They are  more reactive because of their
inherent panel dryness.
  The other problem with C. C crowning is that it has a  very narrow range of
parameters in order to be successful & live long. I  think the small shop
rebuilder has way more  control over the EMC of his/her panels prior to ribbing
than most mass produced  facilities. If I wanted to build a board this way I
would be absolutely sure  that the board was at 4.5%emc.No less &  no more when
the board has  it's ribs pressed on.
  All that being said I've heard many fine examples of  both in older pianos.
Older rib crowned board are out there but far and few  between. I've heard
many newer versions I like equally well.
  I have a 1929 Steinwya B Calif. piano. This C.C  board has text book crown
& bearing. I have documented this when it was  apart. I rebuilt a 1960 L from
Fresno same thing.
 There are no cracks in either board & the tone just  floats. Two small
examples but there are many more. I've also heard Older boards  with little or no
crown or bearing that are magic.   ???
  The reason this can be so is that the mechanical  impedance of the system
is working with that scale,board shape, crown &  bearing for some reason. I
find this especially plausible In old As, 2 &  3.
  I have a 1905 gigantic Ludwig upright that sings like  an soprano with
endless air thru out the scale. It has taller than  wide ribs and plenty of them.
The board is not cracked up. I do not know it's  history but it's stunning.
  Viva la difference. When you hear something that's  working ask why ,marvel
& observe the ribbing , it's height/width, no. of  ribs etc this the way we
learn from the folks that have gone before. I'm  grateful to them all. what a
great journey.

 Blessings--- Dale

 IfI believe it would be accurate to say that there is a  continuum between
the
two extremes of 100% compression crowning and 100% rib  crowning - it is not
as if there are two distinct schools of thought on the  subject.

Some lower-end small pianos have been manufactured with  super-dry panels,
flat ribs, with the ribs glued to the panel on a flat  surface - that process
represents one end of the spectrum (actually, I think  many, many, if not
most, vertical pianos have soundboards manufactured like  that). The other
end of the spectrum would be no panel drying at all, and  ribs cut/formed to
the desired radius. I am not aware of anyone that is at  that end of the
spectrum. All the soundboard builders that I am aware  of  who build "rib
crowned" soundboard utilize at least some small  degree of panel drying prior
to gluing ribs to the panel.

I believe  most soundboard manufacturers build hybrid soundboards - that is
the ribs  will have some radius cut/formed into them (often the 60-foot
radius one  hears of so often) and the panel will receive a fair bit of
drying prior to  ribbing. Steinway even modifies the 100% compression
crowning process by  drying the panel, using flat ribs, but gluing them to
the panel in radiused  cauls. Most builders that utilize some pre-formed
radii to their ribs will  glue clamp the ribs to the panel using a matching
radii caul.

I think  if you looked at all the soundboard builders in the world, you will
see that  continuum in the building process from one extreme to the other (or
nearly  so).

Terry Farrell