Crowning methods, was soundboards.

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:09:39 -0500

No, both the form and the function of the diaphramatic soundboard panel
design differs from the carved violin top. The violin is carved on both
sides. The diaphramatic soundboard panel is planed/sanded/carved-if-you-will
on the top only. The purpose of the diaphramatic soundboard panel - that is,
thinning the panel at the edges - is to give the soundboard increased
flexibility near its perimeter (the soundboard I build have untapered
panels - perimeter flexibility is controlled by rib shape). I don't know
much at all about violin building theory, but I think it is a fair bet that
perimeter flexibility is not why the violin top is carved (although
perimeter flexibility may well be one factor taken into consideration during
the carving process...)

I think it is fair to say though, that these are two different beasts.

Terry Farrell