Sound boards, regulation and voicing

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 15:17:04

Hi André,

I'm doing just great! Wish I were going to visit again soon but alas that
is not to be this year.

Yes I do agree--yet I think NY Steinway has a reputation for each piano
being "one of a kind". I don't think it is weird that there are
differences. The two CFIII's probably had tiny differences in comparison to
each other, where as 2 NY Steinways only by chance would be close to each
other due to their rather unusual manufacturing process. (string height
really rarely the same from piano to piano).

At 08:47 PM 20/01/2005 +0100, you wrote:

>On 19-jan-05, at 17:54, Don wrote:
>
>>Hi André,
>>
>>Please find me two brand new NY Steinways that sound the identical. Then
>>I'll choose the one I like better? *grin*.

>There were 10 CFIII-s instruments and in just two minutes I had played them
>all.
>Two of them were very beautiful, were regulated fabulously and sounded so
>very even, so I guessed those were the instruments he had worked on that
day.
>I was lucky, because Mr. Hosoya grunted and said "yes haha, those two I
>worked on today, domo arrigato gozai mas".
>
>Mr. Hosoya then answered me that not all technicians are the same and that
>he would give one a 7, another an 8, and yet another one maybe a 9, (on a
>scale of 10).
>
> Indeed, because all people are different, even
>under strict factory regulations.
>In my personal perception instruments coming from factory so and so can be
>absolutely above average but at the same time they can vary in quality on a
>scale from 5 to 10, generally speaking.
>
>You still think it is  wrong or weird that instruments coming from the same
>factory are different?
>

>friendly greetings from
>
>André Oorebeek
>
>Vita Dura Est