Crowning methods, was soundboards.

Richard Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:41:37 +0100

>> I've begun to notice and in your post below you mention "compression
>> crowned" boards. Could you tell me what that is and what is/are the
>> alternative(s)? Thank!

Hi Clyde,

The basic definition of compression crowned is given by others already
with a degree of flavouring tossed in so I wont repeat that. I would
just echo what others have said about the general difference of opinion
on the subject of which method is better... along with what they mean by
<<better>>. (btw the altenative is rib crowning, which I will also let
others describe in any fashion they choose)

Seems to be a consensus on all sides of this subject matter that
compression crowning in its various forms is more difficult and yeilds
more variant results. That said one simply must acknowledge that many,
if not most of the worlds greatest players on the field do, have, and
will continue to do so for the forseeable future use compression
crowning. This includes Steinway, Yamaha, Schimmel, Petrof, Steingręber.
I have yet to meet a designer or builder in Europe who does not declare
the neccessity for the stresses such crowning method creates for
achieving the acoustical results, both long term and short term these
same designers say is their goal.

Now... these fine makers of pianos could all be insane, silly, just
plain following the leader who simply refuses to change because of
stubborness or good marketing strategies... or one of the myriad of
other such reasons some will give. (which may or may not be true when it
comes down to it).  OR... maybe they have a better reason for doing so.
I will grant that those on this list who argue in favour of rib crowning
that their argumentions relative to structual issues are very strong,
and totaly uncountered by the <<opposition>>.  That said... I've always
found also lacking a reasonable explaination for why virtually all the
major players insist on using the method by these same rib crowning
enthusiasts.

Personally.. I think the fact is that both methods can be successfully
employed, (and indeed are) and that the criticism each side levels at
each other are to some degree grossly overstated, and equally hat each
methods positive attributes are understated by the opposing camps.

But thats just the opinion from an every day pianotech looking out on
the world dispassionatly and seeing whats out there for what it is.  I
have nearly no direct experience with building soundboards.

Cheers

RicB