Center Pin Goop

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:34:20 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_000B_01C4FEFD.20C41980
I got goop on my center pins!

Newish Hyundai grand. Numerous notes not functioning because jacks and =
rep levers are seized or real slow - tons of action center friction. =
Remove center pin and it looks like this:

Pretty impressive or what? Stuff wipes off with a bit of effort and =
yields a nice clean shiny center pin - I don't think the pins are =
corroding or loosing their plating (like I've heard can happen on some =
Samicks).=20

My questions are as follows:

- What is this stuff?

- If I simply repin, can I not presume that the goop will come back (I =
suppose it would be a good thing to ream up a pin size or two)?

- Do I need to rebush (like the US is doing today - oh, no I couldn't do =
that!)?

- If I need to repin and rebush all the jacks and wip levers, seems to =
me I'm already pretty close to the point where it would be cheaper to =
just install new wippens - what say yee?

Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell

P.S. A whole bunch of damper underlevers are seized up also. This piano =
is in an apartment complex clubhouse and is not played by anyone, but =
they play it with the PianoDisc box. Believe it or not, the young girl =
in the office called me to tune the piano because it had been a good =
five years. I asked "is there anything else problematic with the piano =
that you are aware of?" Reply: "No!" She also asked me where to buy CD =
for the player. Seems they have been listening to Hotel California (only =
CD they have) being played for the past five years on about 70 keys with =
most of the dampers permanently up. Welcome to the      tel Cal   =
forn........     Go figger.......
------=_NextPart_001_000B_01C4FEFD.20C41980
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_000B_01C4FEFD.20C41980--