Backchecks

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:57:37 -0500

 >This is a Steinway and I was under the impression they are forced down
onto the backcheck wire?
 >Or is that only into the key?  David I.

Right you are. Just goes to show that I haven't changed S&S checks in a while.
I checked an old S&S and a fairly new one and they are pressed-in on both ends.
I assumed the top of the wire was threaded as most manufacturers utilize.
Not the first thing 'different' about S$S...

Then maybe spot repair the ones on the action and plan on replacing the set
later.
(Go with the screw-on check style wire to make squaring-off easier and
replacement).

Regards,
Jon Page