SWound boards

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:40:48 +0100

On 18-jan-05, at 23:32, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Grin....
>
> Couldnt resist Andre... the answer is as always....  it depends on
> which one was <<better>>
>
> rb
>
>> I have posed this question before :
>>
>> If you had the choice : you can get a brand new Steinway D and you
>> can get a hundred year old Steinway D...
>> What would be your choice?
>>
>> André Oorebeek

I know you Ricardo,
Tough cookie when it comes to sound boards.

I think we all agree that there is definitely a difference between an
old board and a brand new one.
If Dale Erwin replace his board in the D he has been working on, then
he must have had a reason.
We (Grand Piano) too replace old boards and the new ones are always
better.
I want to know why and, although my professional life is all about
restoring old beauties, I still like the sound of a new  Steinway (or
any other name) better than an old one.

My intuition tells me that it has to do with the cellular structure and
with fatigue of the wood in general.
Re-ribbing is not always a good answer.

I think we all have our preferences so taste is actually not an issue
here.

Maybe the sound board kings on this list could help answer this
question?

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek