Cut off bar & fish pictures on Mason AA (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Clyde Allen tunepiano1@yahoo.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:58:48 -0800 (PST)

Dale,
This work you are doing to enhance the performance of re-build projects is very amazing. Adding cutoff bars and "fish" (which I suppose is the equivalent to a cutoff bar for the high treble) is very interesting. Would you share how to calculate the positioning of the cutoff bar and fish. I suppose (and perhaps wrongly so) that the cutoff bars positioning is a function of the soundboards area and rib lengths? What is the correct way to determine the cutoffs positioning? and how do you arrive at the dimensions and positioning for the fish? Thanks in advance for your help in this matter. I've just been going through the pictures you posted and find this fascinating!

Clyde Allen
PTG Assoc.
Silver Spring, MD

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

     Too All
     The pictures show a added cut off bar I posted about last week
which was recycled from the baldwin upright. I decided to add the fish
in the treble after Terry posted his pictures & alos because of input
from many other rebuilders on list that have discussed more modern
approaches to developing sustain & power in conjunction with sound
board crown longevity.
  As posted previously the ribs on this piano are extremely long &
would have provided inadequate crown support. Also the ribs &
soundboard area in the top treble were extremely generous to the point
of sacrificing stiffness required for adequate impedance. I'm changing
all the tri-chords top bichords & probaly a bass bridge change too.
  The jury's still out tonally. I'll report back when its strung. The
action is already to go so in march I'll tell "The rest of the story"
We pressed the board today, the block is made  as seen in picture.
   Dale Erwin

[Photos at:]

http://tinyurl.com/3jmod

http://tinyurl.com/4y95u