Pinboard repair on Rippen Grand

Performance Music performancemusic@cableone.net
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:58:20 -0700

The C/A glue method tends to work pretty good, especially in conjunction
with driving the pins in further.

In a grand piano, it's a little tricky.  The pinblock must be supported with
the proper blocks or you'll shatter the pinblock and have to change it out
and start over.  I would not do this method without the proper tools &
training.  I find that driving the pins AND C/A glue AND accelerator works
the best.

Another option would be to remove the lid and fallboard and turn the grand
piano upside.  This allows the technician easy access to the underside of
the pinblock, provided that the tuning pin holes went all the way through.
That being the case, applying C/A glue from the underside would allow more
glue to get in and around the pin.  Then accelerate it.

The advantage here over applying glue from the top is that the positioning
allows the glue to seep in further that cannot be accessed from the top or
in a vertical piano.   Oh, by the way, I never do a loose pin job in the
clients home.  Personal preference.

One final note.  If you drive the pins in, it will change the tension
substantially.  That will force you into needing a pitch raise and several
tunings to bring it back where it should be.  I generally charge about the
equivalent of 5 tunings for this job.

regards

Ron