bizarre pitch

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:06:46 -0500

Don wrote:
>I believe it is a legacy from plumbers. I'd try a plumbers supply store for
>a tap and die. Failing that contact Mike Swendson in Calgary. He makes
>tuning levers.

I've copied Mike on this too so maybe he'll be able to shed some
light. But tuning lever makers often seem to be  more concerned with
the lever components and get their tips & heads from a supplier as
standard parts (hmm) so they would avoid the problem.

I haven't been able to come up with any current or archaic standard
thread size with a 30tpi. The finest plumbing threads (taper or
parallel) seem only to go to 27 or 28tpi depending on the system, but
including the archaic ones, so I can't see it being a plumbing legacy
(and what's the connection between tuning lever making and plumbing
anyway). This situation begs the questions when was this standard
adopted for tuning tips? and why? and why is it still so ubiquitously
used for tuning lever tips? Is this just yet another example of the
piano industry being anal?

As for the how....are Hale tips made by an army of lathists running
their lead screws through the night in sweatshops or are special taps
and dies exchanged for large sums in back alleys. Maybe a subject for
industrial espionage? Maybe there's some sort of secret handshake to
get into the 30tpi club. Or maybe the size adopted as the most
obscure one that would prevent the rabble from flooding the tuning
tip market with cheap ripoffs and bringing down the value of tuning
tip investments?

Hmm. You'd think someone here would know at least some dirty tip
thread rumours.

Stephen

--
Dr Stephen Birkett, Associate Professor
Department of Systems Design Engineering

E3 Room 3158
tel: 519-888-4567 Ext. 3792
fax: 519-746-4791
PianoTech Lab Room E3-3160 Ext. 7115