How to remove small bulges in veneer

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:40:17 -0800

Calin asked: "I have a piano where the veneer has lifted in 2-3 places =
(on top of the
lid - it's an upright) and formed a sort of air bubble beneath. If you =
press
on the veneer it will go down a little.
What is the best way of getting it flat and glued-down again?
This is an old piano and the veneer was probably guled on with hide =
glue.

Thanks!

 Calin ,
I've had good luck with the following: Soak the "bulge" with water, to =
soften the veneer. Inject cold hide glue w/a syringe, (make a slit, so =
that you can get the needle into the affected area and to relieve the =
hydrolics.) Using a slightly convex board and some waxed paper to sheild =
from the wood to wood surfaces, clamp. Let set for 24-48 hours. That =
should do it.=20
Others say they have had good results by "ironing", but I haven't had =
much success with that method.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police