Andres punching tested

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 22:48:47 +0100

On 14-jan-05, at 7:34, David Love wrote:

> Andre:
>
> =A0
>
> I see from looking back through the archives that you are talking=20
> about special conical shaped punchings.=A0 What have you found when=20
> experimenting in this area with Renner felt punchings.=A0 I see that=20=

> they make them as thin as 3 mm. =A0
>
> =A0
>
> David Love
>  davidlovepianos@comcast.net

David,

I have never bought front punching from Renner because I did not like=20
their front punching.
All these years I have bought and used the best punching available from=20=

Steinway and Yamaha of which I like the Yamaha punching for the=20
handmade S-series the best.  Both the Steinway and the Yamaha punching=20=

is conical.
The new punching I now sell is better, in my opinion because of the=20
high density felt.
As most of the instruments I worked on during my entire professional=20
life make use of 5 mm thick front punching, I personally find it=20
unnecessary to get different thicknesses. Besides, in my opinion, a=20
thinner front punching made of this fine felt would feel too 'hard'.
I remember older instruments like Erards and Pleyels using two layers=20
of thin punching, but then again it becomes too spongy, and we don't=20
want that because we need the most precise after touch, and thus the=20
very best tonal result.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek