Pitch Raise and String Breakage

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:49:28 EST

In a message dated 1/14/05 2:05:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
terry@farrellpiano.com writes:

"Lately I've been ducking the whole "how much do you charge  thing" quite
succesfully with calls like you describe. I simply say: "I don't  want to quote
anything before I see a piano for the first  time."
(snip)
"Also, this let's me.....estimate the family's  financial situation, find out
how much the piano means to them,  etc."

Hmmmmm. Sounds suspicious to me. Don't you even have a  standard tuning fee?

I find it much easier to not have to deal with a "floating" fee.  All  of my
rates are listed at the bottom of my invoice.  If I feel like the  customer is
particularly cash-strapped, I can give a discounts\.  Leaving a  large gray
area when dealing with money can create problems like, "you tuned the  Dungboi
piano at my friend's house for XXX$, how come you charged me xxxx$ to  tune my
Bargaindorfer?"

For someone who is glib and a good bargainer, I can see the appeal of "no
set fee."  For someone who has trouble asking for  what he/she deserves, having
it etched in stone can make that  aspect of the job easier.

Dave Stahl