Pitch Raise and String Breakage

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:01:59 -0500

Hi Matt,

I think it is best to always be up front when people ask. We quote the
standard tuning rate and say that if it has been awhile since the last
tuning and the pitch has fallen, it could be up to twice the normal rate,
depending on how low it is. Since I rarely break strings, I don't mention
string breakage. But if it happens, I  just explain that sometimes it
happens when bringing the tension up this much. I never have anyone upset
over that.

If there are broken notes the explanation is that most any broken note
problem can be fixed for $25-$50 each. But it may be less, even free, if for
example it is only a lodged paper clip. Then it is stated that there is no
way of giving an accurate quote without examining the piano.

I used to not be careful to do the phone quote, only the evaluation and
quotation at the start of the tuning appointment. I found much more
resistance to having the work done, and often people felt like I was gouging
them. Now when a piano needs a pr I don't even say anything, unless they
ask. It was already covered on the phone call. I just do it and charge
accordingly.

On the Damp-Chaser installation, I usually try to sell the job before the
tuning is done. If it is right after I've tuned, sometimes I will delay
installation for 2-3 months and explain it will need tuned again. If I don't
think they will do the second tuning, I will just do the install without the
delay. I may explain that the  piano will go out a little sooner. If that
happens they just need to have it retuned. I know the piano will eventually
get straightened out and if they call back to complain on the tuning (rare
occurence) they accept the explanation.

The big frustration with these systems is when you go out to a regular
client (churches, usually) and find the system unplugged or dry and the
piano +/- 15 cents. Then what do you do? I usually eat the lost appointment,
plug it in/fill it up, and reschedule for two weeks. Sometimes I will change
the pads and charge $25 for a service call and pad change so it is not a
total loss. If it is not a regular customer (i.e., 2-3 years between
appointments) I'll go ahead and tune it, but not put it all the way on
pitch.

To combat this problem I started carrying the 6 outlet adaptors and cord
locks. If the outlet is crowded I don't even ask, usually, I just install
the 6 outlet adaptor. If it is not a crowded outlet, I just put on the cord
lock, a plastic strip the traps the cord against the outlet cover that makes
it hard to unplug the cord.

Blessings,

Dean