Pitch Raise and String Breakage

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:05:34 -0500

MessageAlan wrote:

"Lately I've been ducking the whole "how much do you charge thing" quite =
succesfully with calls like you describe. I simply say: "I don't want to =
quote anything before I see a piano for the first time."
(snip)
"Also, this let's me.....estimate the family's financial situation, find =
out how much the piano means to them, etc."

Hmmmmm. Sounds suspicious to me. Don't you even have a standard tuning =
fee?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 8:50 PM
  Subject: RE: Pitch Raise and String Breakage

  Lately I've been ducking the whole "how much do you charge thing" =
quite succesfully with calls like you describe. I simply say: "I don't =
want to quote anything before I see a piano for the first time. I'll =
examine it and then we can discuss what is needed and agree on things =
before I do any work. Fair enough?"  Or something to that effect. Seems =
to be accepted very well and I haven't wasted a trip yet.

  Then, when I see that it's 87 cents flat with rusty coils and mouse =
nests, we can talk face to face about needs, options, etc., and do the =
"selling" on a personal basis. To me, that is always better than =
"selling" anything over the phone where you don't really know what's =
what with the piano. Also, this let's me establish a rapport with the =
customer so I can read their body language, estimate the family's =
financial situation, find out how much the piano means to them, etc. At =
this time, before starting, I say things like:=20

  "These strings may be rusty enough or old enough that some of them may =
pop while tuning."

  "Though I will be careful, metal under tension loses its elasticity, =
or ability to stretch, over time and gets brittle."

  "You been taking these strings to the beach with you, or what!?!=20

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO