Wessel, Nickel & Gross Hammer Actions

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 02:59:03 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Monty" <sharonandmonty@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 11:34 AM
Subject: Wessel, Nickel & Gross Hammer Actions

> I've acquired a nice console which has been refinished, and there are no
> manufacturer's names inside or out. The only name inside is on the action,
> which is Wessel, Nickel, & Gross.  I'd like to try to get an idea of the
> maker, and wondered if there was an idea out there of what manufacturers
> used these actions oh, say about 40 to 60 years ago.
 > Sincerely,
>
> Monty Nichols

    At one time (1900's, 1910's, 20's),  W, N, & G actions were the
"Cadillac of piano actions"  and were found in top-of-the-line makes, but
later on, they must've been bought out by another company or changed
management and also quality, unfortunately.   The later WN&G actions I've
seen in studios and consoles from the 1960's, I think, are much lower in
quality, and typically can be recognized by aluminum-colored hammer rails
and lots of blue felt.  I think Winter (one of the shoddiest brands ever
made, in my opinion) had Wessel actions for awhile.  Can't think of other
brands offhand, though.
     --David Nereson, RPT