even more Dampp-Chaser thoughts

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:14:08 -0800

Did you measure the overall pitch when you found the unisons out?  If
the pitch was still where you left it but the unisons had gone out, the
problem might simply be how stable you left the tuning.  If you
installed the DC 3 months ago, did a full tuning 2 months ago, another
"touch-up" tuning of octaves and unisons (which to me is a complete
tuning) one month ago and then found recently that the unisons were once
again out, I would consider that the problem may lie in your hammer
technique and setting the pin--at least on this piano.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Bec and John
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 7:36 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: even more Dampp-Chaser thoughts

Hi,

It's been about 3 months since my first dampp-chaser installation. I
did a tuning about 4-5 weeks after the installation. In addition, I did
a big touch up of unisons and octaves mid-December.

Just recently I checked this piano (a Boston GP-193) and was surprised
just how out the unisons were - I was expecting some noticeable
improvement in the stability of the piano's tuning. Unfortunately I
don't keep any kind of detailed notes about the state of the piano's
tuning when I tune it, but from my memory (I've been tuning it for
around 2 years, very regularly) it doesn't seem any more stable.

Any thoughts from those with much experience with dampp-chasers?

Thanks.

-- John