Trimming Key End Felt

Pianotech pianotech@tds.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:48:30 -0600

Hello all,

As I've just finished up trimming the key end felts in a new S&S (they were
rubbing on the under-levers, causing the keys to not return), I'm wondering
if any of you have a super-slick method for doing this, whether mopping up,
or just having replaced the end-felts yourself.

I just did it using a VERY sharp 1" chisel.  I turned the key over on the
edge of the bench so that only the underfelt is resting on the bench, press
down a bit to make the felt a little more firm, and then slice the offending
material off.  It worked, OK, but not great.  Any ideas for something
better?

Many thanks,
William R. Monroe
Madison, WI