Polishing White Plastic Key-tops

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:02:44 -0500

Pianotek sells what they call "Special Keytop Buffing Compound" (page =
B-14 in their catalog). I see they also have a "Black Rouge" that is =
"For ebony sharps." Hmmmmm. I'll have to give that a whirl and see what =
it does.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Robin Stevens=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 5:19 PM
  Subject: Re: Polishing White Plastic Key-tops

         In my days at a firm that sold, and serviced Steinways, any key =
polishing was done with a foot square slab of scrap half inch hammer =
felt with Brasso and metho.

        This method was used just in case the buffing wheel damaged the =
sharp entry section at the back of the ivory.=20

        The felt slab was glued to a board to make it portable. Then a =
small amount of Brasso was put on the felt with the same amount of =
metho.

        The up side down key was then rubbed across using two hands, =
making sure you were not leaning too much to one side. This method =
stopped any liquid running down the side of the key.

        I would say any fine cutting compound would work on the felt =
slab.

         As for polishing on the buffing wheel...in my opinion a buffing =
"soap" is mandatory to stop burning. I did use stainless steel buffing =
compound at one stage because it is white. but now the soap bought from =
piano suppliers is a light brown colour

        A large choice of polishing soaps is available at Metal =
Polishing suppliers including all sorts of soaps for plastics etc.

        Hope this helps
        Regards
        Robin Stevens
        South Australia