Polishing White Plastic Key-tops

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:49:39 +1030 (Cen. Australia Daylight Time)

 In my days at a firm that sold, and serviced Steinways, any key polishin=
was done with a foot square slab of scrap half inch hammer felt with Bras=
so
and metho.=0D
=0D
This method was used just in case the buffing wheel damaged the sharp ent=
ry
section at the back of the ivory. =0D
=0D
The felt slab was glued to a board to make it portable. Then a small amou=
nt
of Brasso was put on the felt with the same amount of metho.=0D
=0D
The up side down key was then rubbed across using two hands, making sure =
you
were not leaning too much to one side. This method stopped any liquid
running down the side of the key.=0D
=0D
I would say any fine cutting compound would work on the felt slab.=0D
=0D
 As for polishing on the buffing wheel...in my opinion a buffing "soap" i=
mandatory to stop burning. I did use stainless steel buffing compound at =
one
stage because it is white. but now the soap bought from piano suppliers i=
s a
light brown colour=0D
=0D
A large choice of polishing soaps is available at Metal Polishing supplie=
rs
including all sorts of soaps for plastics etc.=0D
=0D
Hope this helps=0D
Regards=0D
Robin Stevens=0D