Andres punching tested

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:36:27 +0100

On 13-jan-05, at 5:58, Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

> =A0List
> =A0 While=A0putting the final hours on a newly bellied D=A0I did an=20
> experiment.
> =A0 =A0I had installed the usual Thick green punching a while back=A0 =
prior=20
> to receiving=A0the New Oorebeck front rail punching's. So I listened =
to=20
> the sound of F-4 carefully, checked the dip , then changed to the new=20=

> ones, checked the dip=A0, played the note &=A0the sound suddenly came=20=

> together with more power and clarity than the first punching. The=20
> solidity under my finger was firm and sure.
> =A0=A0=A0 Thinking it to be an anomally=A0I changed back to the green =
ones.=20
> The Sound diminsihed & lacked focus. Well ,I did this a bout three=20
> times on the same note with the same result. I then checked a bass=20
> note f-1 with the same effect.=A0
> =A0 =A0I'd say=A0the new puncing=A0=A0has a similar beneficial yet =
cumulative=20
> effect=A0much like to mating & hammers to &=A0leveling strings
> =A0 I=A0placed the green punching between two pieces of thin maple & =
put a=20
> calipers on each side. The compression with  modest force would change=20=

> easily as much as .030. The white new punching only .010.
> =A0=A0 Considering all this,=A0since=A0the key is where the power is=20=

> generated=A0 it needs to have a precise stopping moment. If not after=20=

> touch can change to a depth of .420 even with an initial dip setting=20=

> of .390 .(which is my preferred dip in Steinways whenever possible.)
>  =A0 Think of the distance in excessive jack travel especially on =
parts=20
> with a narrow window for jack movement & also it's effect on slowing=20=

> repitition performance. With the white=A0punchings a far more =
dependable=20
> dip /touch can be assured.
> =A0 Think of the improvement in SOUND Baby!!!!!!!!
> =A0 I=A0=A0noticed no change in noise even though this is a pressed =
felt &=20
> not woven.
> =A0I immediately changed the entire set & tomorrow or Friday I'll have =
a=20
> chance to hear & feel =A0the whole piano.
> =A0 Regards
> =A0 Dale Erwin

Dale and List,

I am of course very happy that your test came out in a positive way.
I highly value your opinion and comments and, although I knew what I=20
was talking about, it is really appreciated when a tech like you comes=20=

forward with the results of this test.
It only proves that this is not a hoax and that true piano artisans=20
immediately recognize the value of this otherwise tiny item.
I hope that many other technicians may benefit from this humble piece=20
of front punching.

btw...
More valuable piano tech items are coming soon!!

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Vita Dura Est