Andres punching tested

Jack Houweling JackHouweling@dccnet.com
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:38:13 -0800

Hello Dale,
Thanks for the update. Can't wait to hear the final results.

Jack Houweling

 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 8:58 PM
  Subject: Andres punching tested

   List
    While putting the final hours on a newly bellied D I did an =
experiment.
     I had installed the usual Thick green punching a while back  prior =
to receiving the New Oorebeck front rail punching's. So I listened to =
the sound of F-4 carefully, checked the dip , then changed to the new =
ones, checked the dip , played the note & the sound suddenly came =
together with more power and clarity than the first punching. The =
solidity under my finger was firm and sure.
      Thinking it to be an anomally I changed back to the green ones. =
The Sound diminsihed & lacked focus. Well ,I did this a bout three times =
on the same note with the same result. I then checked a bass note f-1 =
with the same effect.=20
     I'd say the new puncing  has a similar beneficial yet cumulative =
effect much like to mating & hammers to & leveling strings
    I placed the green punching between two pieces of thin maple & put a =
calipers on each side. The compression with modest force would change =
easily as much as .030. The white new punching only .010.
     Considering all this, since the key is where the power is generated =
 it needs to have a precise stopping moment. If not after touch can =
change to a depth of .420 even with an initial dip setting of .390 =
.(which is my preferred dip in Steinways whenever possible.)=20
    Think of the distance in excessive jack travel especially on parts =
with a narrow window for jack movement & also it's effect on slowing =
repitition performance. With the white punchings a far more dependable =
dip /touch can be assured.
    Think of the improvement in SOUND Baby!!!!!!!!
    I  noticed no change in noise even though this is a pressed felt & =
not woven.
   I immediately changed the entire set & tomorrow or Friday I'll have a =
chance to hear & feel  the whole piano.
    Regards
    Dale Erwin