Glues,powders,softeners etc

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:47:09 -0600

WARNING: Contact adhesive is okay IF it is water based. Don't get any of =
the
other stuff anywhere near your pretty new plastic key tops--it will eat =
into
them and ruin them. Personal experience speaking here. Try PVC-E first.
You'll like it and it's safe. Some folks use thick CA on loose ivories =
and I
have done it successfully, too. but there was also the occasion when I =
drove
about 9 miles to a drug store for some nail polish (CA) remover--with a
piano key stuck to my thumb. Not a shining moment.
=20
Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Michael Gamble
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 2:54 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: Glues,powders,softeners etc

Hello list
Contact Adhesive - which I use in the field for sticking loose ivories. =
You
know the stuff - comes in a tube, apply to both parts to be stuck, wait =
till
touch-dry (anything from 30secs to 3 mins depnding on temp.) carefully =
(only
one chance here) put the two parts to be glued together. No clamps =
needed.
Sticks ivory and plastic to wood. So it's good for complete keyboard
recovering.
Copydex - good for felt to wood in the field. This is a white =
rubber-based
adhesive and the small plastic "jar" comes with its own brush attached
inside. Whatever you do don't spill this stuff on the Clients' carpets!
There is a thinner, obtainable from Copydex direct. Copydex is much used =
in
the early keyboard fraternity.
>From darkest Sussex on Sea
Michael G (UK)