Sticky ebony keytops revisited

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:23:52 -0600

This sticky keys problem is a fairly common problem among the "uncommon" key
problems.  sometimes it is tung oil and sometimes it is just really dirty
hands.  I usually wash these using a cleaner called Rose Many Cleaner.  I
try the diluted mixture first.  If it does not fix it, I use full strength.
This is a janitorial de-greaser cleaner.  I would also try progressively
stronger solvents if it is oily.  Naphtha first, Methanol or denatured
alcohol, lacquer thinner, Acetone.  I would find one that cuts it then use
scotchbrite pad with the solvent on all sides of  the sharps.  This is out
of the piano, of course as the solvent will spatter all around where this is
done.

This may also take out some of the color.  Sometimes ebony has really light
colored spots in it.  With these you may want to dye it with India ink like
the old guys did when that Steinway was new.  If you want these ebonies
shiny, you may buff them on a rag wheel and brass polish rouge.  I have
white, red and the new green rouges.  The wheel which is black from
polishing brass will polish the ebony up to a fine sheen.  If you go the
spray paint route, use black lacquer or clear gloss over the India ink.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com <http://www.thepianoworld.com>

Do you or your family have a health challenge?  Put YOUR BODY’S OWN IMMUNE
SYSTEM to work for you----It is capable of repairing itself from EVERY
disease if you give it the right fuel.
Visit  http://bullock.myglycostore.com <http://bullock.myglycostore.com/>
to get the right fuel
Visit  http://bullock.goldenkeys.net/ to investigate a great automated home
based business to get your products for free.